Columbus Travel Guide

columbus-61247

The Ohio state university is situated in the city of Columbus. The city is named after the Spanish explorer Columbus who discovered America in 1492. Columbus was founded at the meeting point of Scioto and Olentangy Rivers in 1816.

Among the inhabitants of Columbus, there are a large number of immigrants from the countries like Vietnam, Russia, Somalia, Mexico and Latin American have become an integral section of the city. This mixes of races have made Columbus a typical American City.

In Columbus, there are many places that you will found attractive for a travelers’ delight. Columbus Museum of Art with a good restaurant, the Columbus Convention Centre is placed to relax and attend meetings. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium preserve from common to endangered species of wild animals and fishes. COSI is the museum for Children with interactive scientific games for the exhibition. Franklin Park Conservatory, Goodale Park, Ohio Craft Museum is among the best places that one should not forget when visiting Columbus.

There are many annual festivals and events that regularly happen in Columbus. Arnold
Fitness Classic, Asian festival held, annually, Columbus Arts festival, Columbus Jazz are only a numbered festival, where you can become a part. To dine at Columbus you can select from nearly 6000 local restaurants according to your budget and eating habit at the moment of the day.

And reaching Columbus is an effort less process. You can choose the mean that could serve your purpose, fully. The city is connected with a good number of state highways. It is bisected by two major Inter-State Highways. Surprisingly, it is the second largest metropolitan area in the United States after Phoenix without passenger rail service. However, is served by Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) a municipal bus service within the Columbus city. Or can afford services of Port Columbus International Airport, Rickenbacker International Airport, Don Scott Airport and Bolton Field Airport.

For staying at Columbus you can select a hotel from a variety in Columbus. The Concourse Hotel and Conference a middle type hotel near Port Columbus you would found with amenities and luxury of your class, business as well as leisure class. Comfort Suites Airport, Cross Country Inn Airport, Columbus Microtel Inn are a numbered places where you can stay while your journey to Columbus.

Points of Interest

  • Columbus Historical Museum
  • Pancho Villa State Park
  • Historic site of Camp Furlong
  • Old U.S. Customs building
  • Border port and crossing into Palomas, Chihuahua, Mexico
  • Site of the First Aero Squadron
  • Tres Hermanas Mountains
  • Aerostat-U.S. Customs surveillance balloon
  • Air Park

Services/Accommodations

  • Four restaurants, Motel, Bed & breakfast, Bank Health Clinic
  • Historical Museum Art gallery U.S. Post Office Gas station
  • Mini-Mart Car Wash Grocery store Library Hardware store
  • Realtors Auto repair/Tire repair 3 churches Secondhand store
  • Youth Center Elementary School R.V. parks Fire Department/Ambulance Service
  • American Legion Post 1916
  • Municipal Swimming Pool
  • Tumbleweed Dinner Theater
  • Community Center

Side and/or hiking trips
1. Ghost town near Hachita -50 miles west of Columbus on NM Highway 9.
2. Anapra Road -a 65-mile trip to El Paso, Texas along a scenic paved road that follows the border
3. Casas Grandes ruins in Mexico-150 miles south of Palomas in Mexico. A 3-hour trip well worth the effort. An archaeologist’s dream excursion.
4. Florida Mountains-A rugged mountain range about 10 miles long and five miles wide, 15 miles northeast of Columbus. Home to wild Ibex mountain goats, originally from Iran.
5. Rockhound State Park -35 miles northeast of Columbus. Campgrounds and picnic facilities spread over 250 acres of rugged terrain. Visitors are encouraged to keep samples of the many varieties of rocks they find.
6. City of Rocks State Park-Unique park featuring giant volcanic rock formations. Overnight camping sites-60 miles northwest of Columbus.
7. Deming-Luna-Mimbres Museum – In downtown Deming, on Silver Avenue. An excellent museum housing artifacts, paintings and exhibits which mirror Luna County’s colorful past.

The Village Of Columbus

columbus-oh-skyline

The Village of Columbus is an incorporated Village in the State of New Mexico located three miles from the Mexican Border. It has the only 24-hour border crossing point in New Mexico. Just across the border is the Mexican town of Palomas, Chihuahua. Columbus is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the location of the last place in the continental United States that was invaded by a foreign power. On March 9, 1916, Pancho Villa’s troops invaded Columbus in the pre-dawn hours. After a fierce battle, our troops beat the invaders off and chased them back into Mexico. One week later, General “BlackJack” Pershing arrived and took charge of what became the “Punitive Expedition”.

This was the training ground for our American Armed Forces for the War in Europe. During the 11 month foray into Mexico, the military forces developed mechanized warfare for the first time. This included: touring cars, motorcycles, trucks and the first armored vehicles. Our first military airbase was formed here with eight Jenny biplanes. This was the last time the Horse Cavalry was used in a large military operation. During the Punitive Expedition, Columbus grew to over 10,000 people and was the largest city in New Mexico. Today we are much smaller with the 2000 census recording 1764 people.

We have four restaurants, one motel, one bed and breakfast, one gas station, one hardware store, a dinner theater, one grocery store, a post office, library and a railroad depot museum with memorabilia and photos of the raid.

Our nearest larger town (34 miles away) is Deming on Interstate route 10. We are only 75 miles from El Paso, Texas. Silver City is only 85 miles away. Perfect for day trips.

Events Calendar

Weekly
Church Fellowship / Worship Services
Regularly scheduled services are
Sunday 10:00 am Sunday School
Sunday 11:00 am Worship Service
Sunday 6:00 pm Bible Study
Wednesday 6:00 pm Prayer and Disciple Study

Monthly Meetings
Rotary

Annual Events
Fiesta de Amistad is held the second Saturday in March in
conjunction with Raid Day,
the commemoration of those killed in Pancho Villa’s
1916 attack on the town. This festival aims to promote
friendship and goodwill between the people of Mexico
and the U.S. and to spur economic development along the
southwestern Mexico border.

October 12, 2001, Columbus Festival
The day’s events will also feature a parade at 10 a.m. and all-day entertainment culminating in a street dance at 8 p.m. The unique parade successfully blends Anglo and Hispanic cultures. School children from the village and its sister city across the border, Palomas, entertain the crowds with their precision drill teams and Folklorico dances.

Historical Buildings Of Columbus

deaf-school-article-ct-1024x619

The Tumbleweed Dinner Theater building, while not on the Historic Register, was in existence at the time of the raid. It was used primarily as a pharmacy for many years and was run by an eccentric and very colorful woman. The interior was recently redone so that it could be used as a dinner theater. The original counter from the pharmacy is still used as a buffet serving table.

THE COLUMBUS VILLAGE LIBRARY

From Booze to Books – Another building that survived the “Raid” by Pancho Villa’s militia is our village library. During the raid, several families, and their children hid in a small cellar that is located in the rear of the building. Over many years, it has been modified. Its previous owners ran a saloon and restaurant. The last owner of the building was indicted for dealing in drugs and the government seized the building. It was eventually turned over to the village and with the aid of many volunteers and a grant, it was converted into a modern library. Through additional grants and donations, the library has nine computers connected to the Internet as well as over six thousand books. Many of the books were donations from people all over the world that read about our conversion of a bar to a library.

EL PASO AND SOUTHWEST RAILROAD DEPOT / MUSEUM

Historical RRmuseum.jpg (21594 bytes)
The El Paso Southwestern Railroad Depot was constructed in 1902. Neighboring structures, including the pump house, the Customs House, and the Section House were also built in 1902. The railroad used the depot until 1959 when it was abandoned by the railroad. The building then became a meeting place for the local boy scouts troop and then a library and newspaper office. The most significant event associated with the depot occurred on March 9, 1916, when Pancho Villa’s army came across the border on horseback before dawn and attacked Columbus. Between 400 and 500 Villistas participated in the attack and took the sleepy town by surprise. The attack lasted from 4:15 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. In response to the raid, the Punitive Expedition led by General John Pershing embarked from Columbus to seek and capture Pancho Villa after he retreated to Mexico. Many of the soldiers arrived at Columbus by railroad, stopping at the depot before going to Camp Furlong. Supplies for the expedition also came by railroad to Columbus and Camp Furlong. The building is now currently owned by the Columbus Historical Society and serves as a free museum with a gift shop.

UNITED STATES CUSTOM HOUSE

The Customs House was a standing building during the Pancho Villa Raid and the Punitive Expedition against his forces. It was built in 1902 to regulate trade coming across the border from Palomas, Mexico, several miles to the south. In 1901, it was a sub-port of the customs house in El Paso, Texas. The building is an example of Prairie School architecture.The building is wood frame with flushboard sides and flush joints. The roof is hipped with wooden shingles and has an unusual angle to it. Its also has a pointed metal finial on the top.It is currently in use as the Museum and Visitors Center of Pancho Villa State Park and was remodeled using historical preservation standards by the state in 1985.

UNITED STATES ARMY HEADQUARTERS

The Headquarters Building is located in the northeast portion of the Pancho Villa State Park. The date of construction is unknown but it is in pictures taken at the time of the Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa (1916-1917). This adobe structure is approximately 21 feet long by 13 feet wide. It is a one-story rectangular building with a tin gabled roof. The entrance, which is located on the north side, is a single door with a soffit and lentil seal. There are four main windows, two each on both the east and west sides. There are two windows on the south wall; one for ventilation and one wood framed window. The interior of the building consists of the cement floor, a plank wood ceiling, and plaster walls. Some reconstruction has been done on the north and east sides using cement. The headquarters building is currently awaiting renovation by the New Mexico State Parks Department. It is presently fenced and covered by a free standing corrugated metal roof for protection as part of the Pancho Villa State Park exhibits.

CAMP FURLONG RECREATION HALL

Camp Furlong and Columbus became the supply base of this operation and bore witness to the birth of the motorization of the U.S. Army as the American horse soldiers were replaced by trucks and airplanes. Located in the northern portion of the Pancho Villa State Park in Luna County, New Mexico, not far from the intersection of New Mexico State Highways 11 and 9, Camp Furlong Recreational Hall is a single framed rectangular weatherboard building with a tin gabled roof. Over the years, the Recreation Hall has seen several different uses, but has maintained its historical integrity and continues to be an essential part of the Columbus’ community. Pictures from the time of the Punitive Expedition show this structure. During the 1930s the building served as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) barracks. The U.S. Immigration Office later used the building until 1956. At the time of the original 1975 survey for the National Register of Historical Places, the building stood abandoned and rapidly deteriorating. Through a series of renovations in the 1980s, the Camp Furlong Recreation Hall is currently in good condition and functioning as a meeting hall for the town.